April 26, 2012

I THINK I DO Screens At Seattle Marriage Equality Fundraiser

I was so pleased to get this news from Jason Plourde, who programs the Seattle Gay & Lesbian Film Festival, that my first feature I THINK I DO screened last night at a fundraiser for marriage equality in Washington state. The movie, which was released in 1998, is about a gay couple attending a straight couple's wedding.  The couple, played by Alexis Arquette (when he was a boy) and Tuc Watkins (from DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES), inspired by the marital hubbub, are considering marriage themselves which sets in motion all sorts of hijinks and revives an old romance.

The film was conceived as a comedy in the screwball style, harking back to the classics of the 1930's and 1940's where divorce and women's rights were the taboos lurking beneath the bright shiny surface of the antics at hand. My film, like those previous onces, was not conceived as overtly political and, at that time, legal gay marriage was more than a glimmer in activists eyes.  But it's there just beneath the surface as I portray the gay romance alongside the straight one while, at the same time, no one makes a fuss about two guys getting engaged. Also there's a reason its set in Washington DC and it's not simply because that's where I grew up!  :)

Anyway, I was so thrilled to have my film be part of this important fundraiser. Like other states where marriage equality has passed, Washington state now faces a voter referendum to repeal the law. And the efforts for that repeal are well-funded by national groups and religious organizations (hello Mormons!).  So if you feel inclined, please donate here to help the cause of marriage equality in Washington state.  

No comments:

Post a Comment